Saturday, August 14, 2021

Saturday Morning Western Pulp: Ace-High Western Stories, March 1944


Now there's a cover with some punch to it! I'm not sure of the artist, but I think it may be Robert Stanley. The biggest names inside this issue are Wayne D. Overholser, Joseph Chadwick, C. William Harrison, and Ralph Berard, who was really Victor H. White. The authors rounding out the Table of Contents are Cliff Bisbee, Ralph Yergen, Le Roy Boyd, Melvin W. Holt, and James P. Webb, prolific but little-remembered pulpsters. As usual with a Western pulp from Popular Publications, there are some great story titles, including "Guardian of Satan's Range", "Gun-Prodigal's Homecoming", and my favorite "There's Hell in Thunder Valley!" I think I'm going to have to steal that and use it as a line of dialogue in a book.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Do you collect these issues as you read them? If so, your library must be really impressive.

James Reasoner said...

Most of them I don't own. The images are from the Fictionmags Index (http://www.philsp.com/homeville/fmi/0start.htm#TOC). I have around 4000 pulps, just don't have time to read as many of them as I'd like.