Sunday, December 08, 2019

Sunday Morning Bonus Pulp: Blue Book, September 1935


I had to look at this BLUE BOOK cover by the great Herbert Morton Stoops for a while before I figured out what was going on, because at first I thought the guy in the center at the bottom of the picture, in the middle of all these knights in armor, was firing a flintlock rifle. Well, that could make for an interesting story, I figured. But then I realized it's actually a crossbow he's shooting. Still a fine cover. And inside is the usual outstanding line-up of authors, including BLUE BOOK stalwarts H. Bedford-Jones (with a story in his Arms and Men series . . . and hey, it's called "The Conquering Crossbow" . . . well, that explains everything), William J. Makin with a Red Wolf of Arabia story, and Robert R. Mill with the first story in his Shock Troops of Justice series (I have the reprints of both those series published by Black Dog Books but haven't read them yet). Also on hand are the classic Western author Willliam MacLeod Raine, Leland Jamieson, William J. Makin again with his other series featuring gypsy sleuth Isaac Heron, Sidney Herschell Small, and William L. Chester with an installment of a Kioga of the Wilderness serial. That's a really impressive issue. 

3 comments:

Glen Davis said...

Kioga was a great feature. Even the serial was good. Too bad he's almost forgotten now.

James Reasoner said...

I've never read any of the Kioga books. I really ought to. Even after all these decades, there are so many gaps in my reading.

Deuce said...

I second the vote on Kioga. Superior Lost World/"Tarzanish" fiction.

Jim, thanks so much for turning me on to Stoops' art. Sadly forgotten.