Sunday, November 17, 2019

Sunday Morning Bonus Pulp: Thrilling Detective, April 1941


Now I understand why I never liked going to the barber shop. You never know when there might be some mug with a gat lurking there, ready to bump you off. However, if I'd ever seen a redhead like that in my local barber shop, I might have risked it anyway. The best known author is this issue of THRILLING DETECTIVE is probably Frederick C. Painton, who wrote a lot of serials for most of the major adventure pulps. Also in this issue are stories by author and literary agent Oscar J. Friend (writing as Owen Fox Jerome), pulp editors Charles S. Strong and Joseph Samachson (writing as William Morrison; Samachson's other claim to fame is creating the Martian Manhunter for DC Comics), Marvin Ryerson (not a pseudonym for Ryerson Johnson but an actual guy), Benton Braden (who appears to have been fairly prolific), and Cornelius Reece (who never published another story except this one, as far as the FMI knows). Not a stellar line-up, but I'll bet it's a fairly entertaining issue.

3 comments:

Rick Robinson said...

Entertaining, but not stellar pretty much sums up the stories from Thrilling Detective I've read.

Anonymous said...

I've find a Cornelius Reece in IMDB with a couple of movies to his credits:

1936 The Cowboy Star
1938 Strange Faces

Best,
Tiziano Agnelli

Unknown said...

I've find a Cornelius Reece in IMDB with a couple of movies to his credits:

1936 The Cowboy Star
1938 Strange Faces

Best,
Tiziano Agnelli