Wednesday, July 03, 2019

Blog Anniversary

Today is the 15th anniversary of this blog. As I've mentioned before (and did so in my very first post, in fact), I only started to blog because my best friends in the writing business, Bill Crider and Ed Gorman, had started blogs and I thought it sounded like fun. It probably never occurred to me at the time that I'd still be at it 15 years later. Early on, the blog was very much a diary, full of not only what I was writing and reading but also comments about the weather and my day-to-day life. It's evolved into whatever it is now, mostly just occasional posts about old books and movies. But I'm still enjoying it, and even though social media has moved and blogs are sort of dinosaurs, I intend to keep at it as long as I'm able, just like I plan to continue the WesternPulps email group (an even more prehistoric venue) as long as a platform exists for it.

Looking back at that first post, I notice that I'd just finished my 165th novel. I'm working on #375, so that's 210 novels in 15 years, or an average of 14 books a year. No wonder my brain is tired.

Also, the day I started the blog, our Nigerian dwarf goat Sugarfoot died. Sugarfoot was about the size of a regular goat, so he was a lot bigger than a regular dwarf goat. He was allergic to regular hay and could only eat alfalfa hay, otherwise he would roll onto his back, wave all four legs in the air, and bleat. I am not making this up. We told the vet about it, but he didn't believe us until he saw it happen for himself. He thought it was the weirdest thing he'd ever seen, and it was pretty bizarre, no doubt about that. I don't believe I've ever told that story here on the blog before, so see, there are still new things to discover even after 15 years.

Many thanks to all of you out there, whether you've been reading Rough Edges from the first or have just started it. I appreciate each and every one of you and hope that you enjoy what I'm doing here.

13 comments:

Walker Martin said...

James, I look at Rough Edges every morning and I appreciate your comments on pulps, vintage paperbacks, and other books. We need more blogs and discussion groups about western fiction and you are providing a much needed forum for such discussions.

Krauss said...

I think Walker nailed it, thanks for all you do James!

Renaissance Women said...

When I get a chance, I enjoy reading your thoughts on the various topics you write about here. Don't always comment, but I always learn something.

Congratulations on such a long and to me illustrious career. May your star continue to rise. Doris

Deuce said...

Just like Walker, I check your site every day, Jim. As long as you keep blogging, I'll keep reading.

Regan MacArthur said...

"And many more..." he sang with far more sincerity than talent.

Adventuresfantastic said...

Although I don't always comment, I check in daily and look forward to what you post.

Anonymous said...

Rough Edges provides a touch of sanity for a world that desperately needs it! Thanks James!

Jim Meals

Rick Robinson said...

I'm another "every-dayer" and always enjoy what I read, though I only comment occasionally. Keep it up!

wayne d. dundee said...

I'm another "every day-er", James. I don't comment often, but I enjoy Rough Edges greatly. Keep it up!

Peter Brandvold said...

I can't believe it's been fifteen years! I remember when you started and, yeah, I've pretty much been here every day since. I've been more loyal to you than I've been to anybody, and that includes Captain Kangaroo and The Beverly Hillbillies!

Howard said...

Just chiming in to say that I, too, enjoy this blog!

James Reasoner said...

I appreciate all the kind words, folks. Pete, it's an honor to be in the same league as Captain Kangaroo and The Beverly Hillbillies! (Both childhood favorites of mine, by the way.)

Spike said...

Thanks for this. It makes life better.