Sunday, June 02, 2019

Sunday Morning Bonus Pulp: The Masked Detective, Spring 1942


I know I read the lead novel from this issue of THE MASKED DETECTIVE many years ago in a reprint edition, but I couldn't tell you anything about it except that I remember enjoying it. The Masked Detective is really crime reporter Rex Parker. Norman A. Daniels wrote more of his exploits under the house-name Robert Wallace than anyone else, but my old editor and mentor Sam Merwin Jr. wrote several of them, including this one (although I didn't know that at the time I read it). This issue also features a short story by Fredric Brown. I like the cover and wouldn't mind reading more Masked Detective yarns. Maybe one of these days.

2 comments:

Spike said...

Off topic, the NYTimes obituary for “painter of celebrities and presidents” Everett Kinstler showed an example of his earlier work, a cover of Fifteen Western Stories. He got his start in comic books and pulps.

James Reasoner said...

I love Kinstler's illustrations in Fifties issues of RANCH ROMANCES.