Monday, August 20, 2018

Monday Memories: The Canyons



When I was a kid, there were two grocery stores in Azle: Trammell’s Pak-a-Bag, in downtown at the corner of Main and Stewart Streets, where the blinker light was; and Rochelle’s Grocery, on the highway service road half a mile from the street where I grew up. Trammell’s was a good-sized grocery store for that time period and even had a butcher shop in the back, as well as an attached dry goods store next door. Rochelle’s was smaller but closer (in walking distance, even), so we went there when we only needed a couple of things.

When my mother wanted to do some serious grocery shopping, though, she drove the six miles to Lake Worth and went to the A.L. Davis Supermarket there, and of course, being a little kid, I usually got dragged along. The thing is, at that point my mother didn’t like to drive on the highway, which was a four-lane divided highway with a median in the middle and crossovers every mile or so, plus a two-lane, two-way service road on each side. So she drove on the service roads, which had less traffic, coming and going. (When I think about how little traffic actually was on that highway back then, compared to now, it seems a little crazy that anybody would feel that way, but as I’ve said before and no doubt will again, it was a different time.)


Coming back from Lake Worth, the service road on that side of the highway went right along the edge of the Fort Worth Nature Center for a mile or so. The Nature Center is a city park and wild animal preserve and is still there. The view from the service road along that stretch is pretty scenic, with thickly wooded, fairly steep hills dropping down to Lake Worth (the actual lake, not the town of the same name) and the Trinity River. When we drove back along there after going to the grocery store, I always looked out across that landscape with great interest, because it reminded me of scenery I saw in all the Western TV shows and movies I watched at the time. I could imagine John Wayne or The Lone Ranger and Tonto or Roy Rogers galloping around out there and having shootouts with the bad guys. In my head, I dubbed that area “The Canyons” and started making up stories about what went on there.


Little did I know that 60 years later, I’d still be making up stories about cowboys and bad guys. But that was one of the places where it started.


To add a little more reminiscing about the Nature Center, this is the area where the infamous Lake Worth Monster, a.k.a. the Goatman, was supposed to live. At one time there was a small rehab facility for alcoholics located there, or as we called it with the usual sensitivity of kids, the Wino Farm. A dirt road that was sometimes passable, sometimes not, led from the Nature Center along the shore of the lake and then followed the river for several miles across an area known as Mud Flats before finally connecting with the road that went across the spillway at Eagle Mountain Lake, just upstream from Lake Worth. I seem to recall that Mud Flats was a popular make-out spot when I was in high school, but I never took a girl there other than Livia, and that was after we were married and would get out and just drive around on Sunday afternoons because gas was cheap and we didn’t have anything else to do. (I can no longer even imagine having so much free time we didn’t know what to do with ourselves. I should have been working harder back then.) When I got around to writing TEXAS WIND, Mud Flats was also the area where gangsters took my private eye protagonist to beat him up and dump him so he’d be scared off the case he was working on. (That didn’t work out too well for them.)


Jump ahead to the time when our kids were little, and we’d often take them to the Nature Center to hike the trails and look at the buffalo and prairie dogs who lived there. Those were very enjoyable trips, and when I drive by the entrance now, there’s always a part of me that wants to go look at the buffalo. Unfortunately, what was free back then now requires an entrance fee, and I’ve never paid it just to indulge a brief burst of nostalgia. Yet.

But I think about it when I drive by, and I always glance over at The Canyons when I pass them, too, and that little kid making up exciting stories in his head is right beside me, dreaming his cowboy dreams.


7 comments:

Unknown said...

James, I had to chuckle over the comment about your mom's 4-lane phobia. Just getting behind the wheel put her ahead of my mother, who never learned to drive at all, ditto my mother-in-law. Perfect background music for these great posts, Joe South's
"Don't It Make You Want to Go Home," either Joe's own version or the Brook Benton cover.

Scott D. Parker said...

So, on those trips to the two stores, which had the better comic spinner racks? I had a U-Totem to the north of my suburban home and a 7-Eleven to the east. Two actually. The local Minimax was the nearest grocery store--within biking distance when I got old enough--so I had plenty of places to throw down coins for comics, Slirpees, and, eventually, video games.

James Reasoner said...

I don't recall the supermarket in Lake Worth even having comic books or magazines. Maybe they did and I just never noticed them (unlikely). Rochelle's, the small store in walking distance, sometimes had some used comics for sale, as I recall, but I never bought much there. Trammell's, in downtown Azle, had spinner racks of both comic books and paperbacks and I bought plenty of both there. The building is still there and is a Mexican restaurant now, and when I go in there to pick up to-go orders I can look over into the bar area and pick out the approximate spot where the spinner racks were. The buildings where Rochelle's and A.L. Davis were located are both long gone, taken down in various highway expansions along with a lot of other memories of my childhood.

Rick Robinson said...

I'm really enjoying these reminiscences, James. Keep 'em coming!

Peter Brandvold said...

Thanks for this one, too, James. Great writing. Brought back many memories of similar times and places and imaginings for me, except on the opposite side of the country.

Victorian Barbarian said...

We used to drive from SPRINGTOWN to.AZLE to shop at Buddies, because there was only McNutt's on the square in SPRINGTOWN, and my folks were used to shopping at the Buddies on Camp Bowie in Fort Worth. We moved to Springtown in 1964, so it must have been a pretty new store.

James Reasoner said...

The Buddies in Azle opened in '62 or '63. We didn't go to A.L. Davis in Lake Worth after that. The Buddies shopping center also had Mott's and Tompkins' Pharmacy in it. I bought paperbacks in all three places.