Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Tuesday's Overlooked Movies: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel


As often happens, this one is overlooked only in the sense that I didn’t see it until now. THE BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL isn’t the sort of film I usually watch: a light drama about a group of British retirees living in a rundown hotel in India. Nothing blows up real good.

But I enjoyed it quite a bit anyway. It’s well-written, funny, and touching. The cast, full of stalwart British characters like Judi Dench, Bill Nighy, Tom Wilkinson, Penelope Wilton, and the great Maggie Smith, is excellent. This is just a nice, sweet movie that’s a two-hour cure for all the crap in the world. I think you have to have achieved geezer status, or at least be fast approaching it, to fully appreciate it, though.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I must've achieved geezer status several years ago, since I quite enjoyed this. I haven't seen the sequel yet, but I probably will.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I liked it a lot but my husband...you need only read the article Megan wrote in Real Simple to understand the dynamics in my house.

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

We enjoyed both this as well as the sequel. Well-made and entertaining though Dev Patel can be insufferable.

Jeff Meyerson said...

As a geezer and fan of many of the actors here (Smith, Dench, Nighy) I liked this and the sequel (though, understandably, not as much).

Prashant, I know what you mean, as I thought Patel was too frantic and somewhat tiresome in the second movie.