Saturday, April 02, 2016

Saturday Morning Western Pulp: Two Gun Western Novels Magazine, March 1943


This week's scan comes to us courtesy of David Lee Smith, and it's a good one. I've read a bunch of stories by Gunnison Steele, who was really Bennie Gardner, and enjoyed all of them. He has the lead novel in this issue of TWO GUN WESTERN NOVELS MAGAZINE and is probably the biggest name among the authors as well. The others include Kenneth P. Wood, Bill Davis, James Shaffer, and Miles Overholt.

2 comments:

S. Craig Zahler said...

Agreed on Gunnison Steele---a solid writer with a good sense of building scenes and plotting from what I've read of his.

And thanks for the kind word regarding Bone Tomahawk. I'm pushing my next two movies concurrently, which are contemporary pieces, but my intention is for movie #4 to be a western, and a more traditional western than was BT in many regards.

Not western related, but still in the adventure spectrum, I just finished reading H. Rider Haggard's "The People of the Mist." That has a lot of great sequences, a bit of melodrama, great atmosphere, and some really amazing imagery. And it has the most vertigo-inducing sequence I've ever read toward the climax/conclusion of the book. It's not quite as good as King Solomon's Mines overall, but is far better than "She".

James Reasoner said...

I think the only thing I've read by Haggard is KING SOLOMON'S MINES, and that was probably 50 years ago, but I remember that I liked it. I just picked up the e-book of THE PEOPLE OF THE MIST and will try to get to it soon.