Saturday, August 29, 2015

Saturday Morning Western Pulp: Ranch Romances, Second February Number, 1951


An eye-catching cover I like quite a bit on this issue of RANCH ROMANCES. I'd like to write a story based on that scene. Maybe I will. In the meantime, there's an excellent line-up of hardboiled Western Writers in this issue: Joseph Chadwick (I think I read a reprint of this story in TRIPLE WESTERN), Giff Cheshire, Wayne D. Overholser, Hascal Giles, and Bennett Foster. Lots of very good stories in RANCH ROMANCES during this era.

2 comments:

Kit Prate said...

My Dad was a subscriber to these magazines, and I almost had "the big one" when -- after he passed -- I found out my mother had tossed all the old issues I had saved and were stored in the attic. My brother taught me to read when I was four, and there never seemed to be enough books or enough time; and the western pulps were my very favorite reads. (Beat the heck out of "Billy and Blaze", that's for sure!)

I think a story based on that cover would be a great idea, Jim. WRITE ON!

Tacitus Jones said...

I like the banner at the top: "All Stories New... No Reprints". The cover art reminds me of Jane Russell from "The Outlaw".