Friday, August 21, 2015

Forgotten Books: Three Television Books by Lee Goldberg

UNSOLD TELEVISION PILOTS, 1955 - 1989, THE BEST TV SHOWS THAT NEVER WERE, and TELEVISION FAST FORWARD: SEQUELS AND REMAKES OF CANCELLED SERIES are new e-book editions of three classic TV reference volumes from Lee Goldberg. Labors of love each and every one, and some of them years in the writing, as he explains in the excellent introductions, these books contain a wealth of information about TV pilots that didn't make it, stealth pilots, new versions of old shows, feature film versions of old shows, and a ton of other entertaining and informative material. Many of the pilots that didn't make the cut for the networks sound a lot better than some of the shows that did! If you're like me and have watched a lot of television over the years, you'll find a great deal to enjoy in these books. They're not the sort of thing you'll sit down and read all the way through, but they're perfect for dipping into any time you want a few minutes of entertainment. I love 'em. Highly recommended.

2 comments:

Todd Mason said...

I suspect Goldberg's accounts of these will be more lively than the usual run of enthusiast scholar's...and, yes, lots of pilots are Way better than what gets greenlit...

Lee Goldberg said...

Thanks so much, James! The TV geek in me would happily spend the next few years writing sequels to those books...sadly, it makes no financial sense and I'd probably lose my house, my wife and my mistress. But I sure loved researching and writing those books! (that said, I may do a sequel to Television Fast Forward, it seems do-able while still writing my novels)