Sunday, June 02, 2013

Sunday Morning Bonus Pulp: Argosy, Sept. 25, 1937


What is it about a pith helmet that just screams adventure? Well, it does to me, anyway. And inside this issue are stories by excellent authors such as Eustace L. Adams, Borden Chase, and John K. Butler. If not for the fact that it has so many serials, ARGOSY in the Thirties might well have been the best general fiction pulp ever. And if you were there and could afford to buy it on the newsstand every week, I guess the serials wouldn't have been so annoying. (Don't get me wrong, I love an ARGOSY serial . . . when I have all the installments.)

4 comments:

Jerry House said...

This one's available online at unz.org. Only three serials in this issue: by Adams, Chase, and Martin McCall.

James Reasoner said...

Thanks, Jerry. That's a great site. I just wish it would let you download stuff rather than having to read it on-line. Still, it's got a lot of pulps and other magazines on there that need to be preserved, and I'm glad they're doing it.

Shay said...

There have been some improvements to the Unz site -- you can now download individual stories, although not the entire magazine.

Click on the "Full Page" link and a new tab will open with the option to download the original (it's in the upper right hand corner).

The Pulp Magazine Project has some issues of Argosy that can be downloaded as pdf's.

http://www.pulpmags.org/argosy_page.html

James Reasoner said...

Thanks for the info, Shay. I hadn't been there in a while. I think I'll go check it out right now.