Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Tuesday's Overlooked Movies: The Picasso Summer

This is a movie that I saw once on TV, many years ago, so I’m going by memory here (and IMDB) here. Albert Finney and the always lovely Yvette Mimeaux play a struggling couple who decide to take a trip to France and find Pablo Picasso in order to save their marriage. Not Picasso’s paintings, mind you, but Picasso himself, because he’s Finney’s favorite painter and Finney convinces himself that if he can just meet Picasso, everything will be all right again.


Well, there’s lots of lush, beautiful scenery, lush, beautiful music, colorful, eccentric French people, and romance. All very pleasant, I’m sure. But the thing that’s stuck with me all these years is the twist ending, about which I can’t say anything without giving away too much. I remember watching it on TV and saying, “Whoooaaa.” Of course, this was the early Seventies, I was in college, and my “Whoooaaa” threshold was probably pretty low. Maybe the movie doesn’t hold up. But if you haven’t seen it and ever run across it, I think you should watch it anyway, on the chance that I’m right. I certainly would.

6 comments:

Paul D Brazill said...

It was a regular afternoon film when I was alive and I always enjoyed it. I once thought of calling a band The Picasso Summer.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Yvette was gorgeous, wasn't she? It sounds like an early version of TWO FOR THE ROAD.

Tim Mayer said...

Because noone ever called Pablo Picasso an a*hole:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc2iLAubras&feature=fvwrel

I'm going to have to find this movie.

Todd Mason said...

Another I've been meaning to see for years, but haven't found time to do so (or tuned in at the right time).

Romance is in the air this week.

Tim said...

You know that the "twist ending" was written by the maestro himself, Ray Bradbury. As usual, the book is better than the film, although Finney is as perfect as ever. I'm really loving your blog. It's wonderful to find someone with interests similar to mine: good writing and good company. Keep it up, please

James Reasoner said...

Thanks, Tim. That ending does seem very Bradburyesque, if that's a word. I'm glad you're enjoying the blog. I have a lot of fun with it.