Sunday, July 14, 2024

Sunday Morning Bonus Pulp: Sinister Stories, March 1940


SINISTER STORIES was the shortest-lived of Popular Publications' Weird Menace pulps, lasting only three issues in 1940. All three issues recycled covers from TERROR TALES. This one is particularly racy. I don't know the artist. The stories were all new, as far as I can tell. The best-known authors in this issue, at least these days, are Russell Gray (who was really Bruno Fischer) and Robert Leslie Bellem. Some of the others were familiar names to Weird Menace fans, though, such as Donald Dale (Mary Dale Buckner) and Francis James (James A. Goldthwaite), while Raymond Whetstone, William Brailsford, and Richard G. Huzarski are all pretty obscure, at least to me. SINISTER STORIES came along at the tail-end of the Weird Menace era, or it might have lasted longer. It certainly doesn't look like a bad pulp for that genre.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My first thought was that the cover might be by John Drew, but someone at the Pulp Artists site suggests it’s by Harry Fisk and the Pulp Covers site credits it to John A. Coughlin. I’m leaning more toward Fisk or Drew, but who knows…

b.t.

James Reasoner said...

I can see Coughlin or Drew as a possibility. I'm not familiar with Fisk's work so can't hazard a guess there.