Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Halfway House - Ellery Queen (Frederic Dannay and Manfred B. Lee)


A while back I read an Ellery Queen novel for the first time in many years and found that I didn’t enjoy it as much as I expected to. My review of that book met with considerable disagreement from EQ fans. That really made me want to read another one in the series because sometimes, to be honest, if I don’t like a book it’s more my fault than the book itself. In looking over the list of EQ novels, I made an interesting discovery: I’d read all of the early novels (the ones with a place name and an object in the title, starting with THE ROMAN HAT MYSTERY), and many of the later books from the late Fifties through the Sixties and Seventies, but almost none of the books from the middle period. The first one on the list that I was pretty sure I hadn’t read was HALFWAY HOUSE, from 1936, so I figured that’s the one I would try next and, if I enjoyed it, would continue on from there. (It was suggested in some of the discussion of the previous EQ review that some of the books are best read in order.)

HALFWAY HOUSE opens in Trenton, New Jersey, where Ellery has stopped over on his way back to New York. He runs into an old friend, attorney Bill Angell, who makes plans to travel to New York with Ellery after a brief meeting with his brother-in-law, a traveling salesman. This meeting is supposed to take place at an isolated house on the Delaware River. When Bill gets there, his brother-in-law is dead, stabbed in the heart. Naturally, Bill calls his old friend the great detective to help him find out what happened.

It's difficult to talk much about the plot in this novel without venturing too far into spoiler territory. Let’s just say that someone close to Bill is arrested for the murder, put on trial (in a lengthy sequence that takes up the whole middle section of the book), and convicted. But Bill and, of course, Ellery aren’t convinced that person is actually guilty, so Ellery continues his investigation and eventually uncovers the real killer—but not before pausing to interject a Challenge to the Reader, a regular feature of the EQ series in the early days.

I don’t know what sort of reputation this novel has among Ellery Queen fans, but man, I absolutely had a great time reading it. Ellery hasn’t quite shed all of his Philo Vance-like origins, but such instances are few and far between and not all that annoying. Mostly he’s a very likable protagonist. The story moves along briskly, the plot has plenty of twists and turns, the clues are planted fairly, and the writing is good enough that I was eagerly flipping the pages to find out what happened. And the Challenge to the Reader brought back a lot of good memories from when I was a regular reader of the series decades ago. (For the record, I actually did pick out the killer in this one, and it was mostly deduction, not guesswork.)

I really enjoyed HALFWAY HOUSE and am glad to see that I’m still an Ellery Queen fan. I’m going to continue with the series soon.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great review, James. My Ellery Queen memories are mixed. I started reading EQ when I was around fourteen and liked the books. But my youthful enthusiasm was crushed when at the tender age of nineteen, I learned that Danny and Lee did not author many of the Ellery Queen novels. At that time in my life, I thought "house job" referred to home repairs.

Jim Meals

Anonymous said...

I’ve only read a few of the short stories by The Queen Cousins (including the famous ‘“Impossible Crime” one where a whole house disappears overnight) and a few of the mid-60s novels ghosted by Richard Deming which I thought were okay.

That run of Queen books from the early 70s with the “Boxed Ladies” photo covers saturated the shelves of used bookstores for years. Of course, as soon as they became harder to find, I suddenly realized I wanted them, so I’ve been slowly collecting them when I can find them for a decent price on eBay.

b.t.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I’ve read the Queen/Holmes novelization of A STUDY IN TERROR by Paul W. Fairman. I believe it’s commonly accepted nowadays that Danny and Lee probably wrote the “present day” sections featuring Ellery Queen.

b.t.

James Reasoner said...

Jim,
At least the ghosted novels that featured Ellery as a character were still plotted and edited by Fred Dannay, so there's some continuity there. I don't know how much, if anything, Dannay had to do with the non-series books published under the EQ name, or the Tim Corrigan series.

b.t.,
You're right, those 70s editions were everywhere! I must have seen hundreds of them over the years, and owned more than a few of them at one time or another. Most of them don't really fit the novels at all, but we didn't really care about that during the 70s, or at least I didn't.