Friday, June 28, 2024

Under the Lake - Stuart Woods


Quite a while back, prompted by a recommendation from Bill Crider (I think), I went on a little Stuart Woods binge and read maybe a dozen of his novels over a couple of years. I would read one from time to time after that, but Woods began concentrating most of his efforts on lawyer Stone Barrington, a character I really didn’t care for, so I stopped reading him altogether.

But I remember always intending to get around to one of Woods’ early novels I’d heard quite a bit about, the Southern Gothic/thriller UNDER THE LAKE. The e-book edition of it was on sale recently, so I thought, why not?

The protagonist of this novel, first published in 1987, is journalist/columnist John Howell, who has left the newspaper business after winning the Pulitzer Prize for a true crime book he wrote. Against his better judgment, he takes on the job of ghostwriting the autobiography of an ambitious businessman/politician. To accomplish this task, he holes up in a rustic cabin owned by his brother-in-law on a picturesque lake in the north Georgia mountains.

In what will come as no surprise to most readers, many of the inhabitants of the local area are eccentric and colorful and some of them are vaguely sinister. Odd things begin to happen. Howell has visions and is visited by what seem to be ghosts. He gets hints of hidden secrets and long-ago crimes that center on the lake next to the cabin. Can Howell uncover the truth without endangering his own life and the lives of people he’s come to care about?

UNDER THE LAKE is a very slow burn, but Woods somehow kept me turning the digital pages anyway. I always thought that his prose was often flat and clumsy in places, but he had that indefinable storytelling ability. This one actually seems a little better written than most of the others of his that I’ve read.

Then, after that lengthy build-up, there’s an avalanche of plot twists and revelations in the last 40 or 50 pages. I’ve mentioned before that when Livia and I are watching some movie or TV show that begins to stretch credibility, one of us usually makes the sarcastic comment, “Sure, why not?” UNDER THE LAKE reaches the “Sure, why not?” point in the late going. And yet, I have to admit I enjoyed it quite a bit. It’s different from what I usually read, it’s pretty well-done, and it might be enough to get me to read some of his other early books that I never got around to. We’ll see.

2 comments:

Jeff Meyerson said...

I agree with you about Stone Barrington. If you haven't done so, read his first, Edgar Award-winning CHIEFS, which was also made into a mini-series with Charlton Heston starring. Some of his others were worth reading for the Florida setting, but Stone left me cold too.

Jerry House said...

Read it way back when but I can't remember a thing about it. This is the case with just every one of his books I have read. The one exception (which Jeff mentions) was CHIEFS, a book which deserves to remain in print.