Thursday, June 27, 2024

A Middle of the Night Music Post: Something For Cat - Henry Mancini

I came across this video a few months ago and must have played it a hundred times since then. The animation is cute and appeals to my fondness for the Sixties, but I usually just listen to the music, which really resonates with me. It's from the soundtrack of BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S, and I've seen that movie so I must have heard the song in it, but I don't recall it from that at all. Instead, to me it sounds like it should have been the theme song from an early Sixties private eye TV series, and I can almost see the opening montage in my head as I listen to the music. I was a huge fan of PETER GUNN and 77 SUNSET STRIP and all the others from that era, and this would have fit right in. One of these days I might just write something like that. It would be a pretty limited market, but it sure would be fun.



2 comments:

Emilio Dingo said...

Thanks. I used to play the Breakfast at Tiffanys album while studying, but it'd been 40 years since I heard it I bet. I had near every Mancini album (all bought at used record stores). The Music from Peter Gunn was by far my favorite.

Dick McGee said...

Huh, weird. I just rewatched Breakfast At Tiffany's not long ago and don't recall that piece from it either. Maybe it's one of those rare songs that got on the soundtrack album without actually appearing in the film itself, or just getting played for a few seconds?

Does have that vibe, and the art's really evocative of the Sixties West Coast that never quite existed in reality. Makes me think of Honey West despite the lack of an ocelot. :)