Sunday, November 05, 2023

Sunday Morning Bonus Pulp: Short Stories, December 10, 1934


When he was still a practicing attorney in California, Erle Stanley Gardner often had Chinese immigrants as clients and was very sympathetic to them and the injustices some of them suffered. I'm surprised he didn't write more stories set in Chinatown. "The Black Egg" in this issue of SHORT STORIES appears to be one of them, judging from the cover. I don't own this issue, it doesn't appear to be on-line anywhere, and I don't believe the story has ever been reprinted, so I don't know anything else about it. But since it's by Erle Stanley Gardner, I'm willing to bet it's good. (I wish more of Gardner's pulp stories would be reprinted, by the way.) There are some other excellent authors in this issue, including Donald Barr Chidsey, J. Allan Dunn, Harry Sinclair Drago, and Clifford Knight. And the usual red sun in the cover by Frederick Witten is huge this time around.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just checked my April 49 copy of Short Stories hoping to find Gardner. I found a Gruber instead. 👍

Joe said...

I just checked my April 49 copy of Short Stories hoping to find Gardner. I found a Gruber instead. 👍

Reply

Joe said...

Now I'm hooked on a Frank Bonham novel in that same short Stories number entitled "The Sin of Wiley Brogan". I can't find that digitally unfortunately. I can't help but feel that every page turn of a 75 year old pulp shortens it's existence. I don't like handling more than I need to- although I love going though these old gems once in a while.