Saturday, September 16, 2023

Saturday Morning Western Pulp: 2 Western-Action Books, Winter 1951


Double covers are usually pretty good. There's still enough room for a decent scene, while the triple covers (such as on the Thrilling Group's TRIPLE WESTERN) are often too small to be very effective. I like this double cover on the Winter 1951 issue of 2 WESTERN-ACTION BOOKS. I don't know the artist(s). I believe this is a Fiction House pulp, although officially it was published by Fight Stories Inc. As you'd expect from the title, there are only two stories in it, both novellas. One is by Lee Floren, not a favorite author of mine but one capable of decent work. The other is by Dave Ricks, and it's his only credit in the Fictionmags Index. My sneaking suspicion is that the name is a pseudonym, possibly for Lee Floren since he has the other story in this issue. But I don't know and would be happy to learn more about him, if any of you have any info.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like Allen Anderson Art to me. He also did a bunch of those TWO COMPLETE SCIENCE-ADVENTURE BOOKS “double covers” for Fiction House.

b.t.

James Reasoner said...

I think you're probably right.