Sunday, August 27, 2023

Sunday Morning Bonus Pulp: Amazing Stories, October 1941


The unmistakable artwork of J. Allen St. John graces the cover of this issue of AMAZING STORIES, and with a St. John cover, it's no surprise that there's an Edgar Rice Burroughs story inside. In this case, it's "Invisible Men of Mars", the fourth and final novella that was fixed up into the John Carter novel LLANA OF GATHOL. I read that book many, many years ago in the Ballantine edition with an explosive Robert Abbett cover that you can see at the bottom of this post, but I don't remember a thing about it except that I liked it, because I liked all the John Carter books. I ought to read it again one of these days. Unlikely, but you never know. Anyway, before I wander too far off into the weeds . . . this issue of AMAZING STORIES also features stories by William P. McGivern (under the house-name P.F. Costello), David Wright O'Brien (under his pseudonym John York Cabot), editor Raymond A. Palmer (under the house-name A.R. Steber and in collaboration with Thornton Ayre, who was really John Russell Fearn), and Festus Pragnell (as himself). I sure loved those Mars books when I was a kid. I'll bet many of you reading this did, as well.



2 comments:

Fred Blosser said...

I picked up that Ballantine edition of LLANA fresh off the spinner rack at Cahoon's Market in Nags Head, NC, on my family's 1963 visit to the beach. I still have it!

James Reasoner said...

I don't remember where I bought my copy. Quite possibly it was a used copy picked up at Thompson's Bookstore in downtown Fort Worth. It would have been around 1964, because that's the year I discovered ERB. What a wonderful time to be a kid who loved to read.