Monday, August 28, 2023

The Digest Enthusiast, Book Sixteen - Richard Krauss, ed.


For those of us who are long-time fans of genre fiction, this is kind of a Golden Age. Not only are there more readily available reprints of vintage material than even the most devoted fan could ever get around to reading, there are also a number of magazines and journals devoted to the fiction we love. For example, MEN’S ADVENTURE QUARTERLY, THE SHADOWED CIRCLE, THE BRONZE GAZETTE, and the subject of today’s post, THE DIGEST ENTHUSIAST. Book Sixteen in that series is now available, and it’s one of my favorite issues so far.

It starts off with a very nice keyhole cover featuring pinup model Jeanne Carmen, who’s featured in a long article about her career, lavishly illustrated (as they say) with many photographs and magazine cover reproductions.

Inside, regular contributor Steve Carper starts things off with an in-depth article about Handi-Books and their publisher James Quinn. Handi-Books published one of my favorite Harry Whittington novels, SLAY RIDE FOR A LADY, as well as good books by Robert Leslie Bellem, Cleve F. Adams, Paul Evan Lehman, Leslie Ernenwein, and others.

TDE editor Richard Krauss examines the first year of Howard Browne’s tenure as editor of FANTASTIC and returns later in the issue with a look at Robert A.W. Lowndes’ editorship of various magazines published by Health Knowledge. I’ve long been interested in Lowndes, who was known for editing some entertaining pulp magazines on next-to-nonexistent budgets. Krauss’s article about the Health Knowledge magazines is fascinating. Those magazines were never distributed to any of the stores and newsstands I frequented as a kid, or I would have picked them up for sure. I have a few in my collection now and always find them interesting.

Peter Enfantino continues his survey of MANHUNT, the best crime fiction digest of the Fifties, and Anthony Perconti takes a look at some of the digest-sized comic book reprint collections published by DC in the Eighties. I enjoyed both of these articles as well. Perconti’s stirred up some nice nostalgic memories because I bought and read quite a few of those digest comics collections when they were new. I actually remember seeing some of the very late issues of MANHUNT on the stands when they were new, but I never bought any of them. I’m not sure why, unless my allowance and the money I earned just wouldn’t stretch quite that far. EQMM was my mystery digest of choice in those days.

So there’s something for just about everybody in Book Sixteen of THE DIGEST ENTHUSIAST, and it’s all well-written, informative, and entertaining. This is a great series, and the latest volume is available on Amazon in both a full color and a black-and-white edition. Highly recommended.

2 comments:

Krauss said...

Thanks for your kind words about the issue, James! So glad you liked it. And I liked the way you wove your own experiences with some of those old digests into your review. Working on these articles has given me a new appreciation for Howard Browne and Robert Lowndes. The latter especially was working on pretty tight budgets, yet still managed to put out some terrific magazines. It's interesting how his efforts at Health Knowledge so closely parralleled Leo Margulies' at Renown during roughly the same period. Both of them liked westerns and adventure mags enough to introduce digests to an otherwise pretty quiet marketplace for those genres at the time. (Excluding MAMs of course.) I think distribution was a larger issue for Lowndes, but what a legacy he left us!

Chap O'Keefe said...

I have a box full of RAWL-edited Health Knowledge magazines: MAGAZINE OF HORROR and STARTLING MYSTERY STORIES (first professional appearances of Stephen King stories!) and a few shorter-lived titles. Like you, I never saw them in the usual magazine outlets. I bought all of mine in the bargain basement of an Auckland department store. And what a bargain they were and are! Some great WEIRD TALES classic,s and covers using old Virgil Finlay illustrations.