Sunday, July 23, 2023

Sunday Morning Bonus Pulp: Popular Detective, October 1943


I feel like I should know who painted the dramatic cover on this issue of POPULAR DETECTIVE, but I don't. As always, artist IDs are more than welcome and will be greatly appreciated. It's a striking scene, whoever painted it, with that life or death struggle going on in the foreground. The lead novel in this issue is by my old editor, friend, and mentor, Sam Merwin Jr. Also on hand are prolific pulpsters Laurence Donovan and Joe Archibald, house name John S. Endicott (in this case, Donovan would be my guess, but who knows?), a couple of authors I've never heard of, Nita Nolan and H. Wolff Salz, and finally one of the more intriguing names on the Table of Contents, Len Zinberg, who had already begun using the pseudonym under which he would write some very well-regarded crime and mystery novels in the Fifties and Sixties, Ed Lacy. I hadn't realized he was selling to the pulps as early as this.

3 comments:

Barry Traylor said...

I put this cover on FB years and got put in FB jail because of the symbol on the sleeve.

Anonymous said...

At a guess, I’d say the cover looks a bit like Rudolph Belarski’s work.

b.t.

James Reasoner said...

Barry,
I shared the post on FB earlier this morning and so far, so good. Could be they just haven't noticed it yet.

b.t.,
Belarski occurred to me as a possibility, but I'm not familiar enough with his work to know for sure. Certainly could be.