Sunday, July 09, 2023

Sunday Morning Bonus Pulp: Mammoth Adventure, May 1947


MAMMOTH ADVENTURE was one of the most short-lived Ziff-Davis pulps, running for only eight issues in 1946 and 1947. It appears to have been a decent adventure pulp, though, with some good covers, like this one by Z-D regular Robert Gibson Jones, and good authors. I'm not sure you can include Richard S. Shaver as one of those good authors, but hey, I haven't read that much by him and certainly am not an expert on him or his work. In fact, I didn't even know he wrote other things besides science fiction. But he has the lead story in this issue, probably because his name sold copies. Also on hand are another Ziff-Davis stalwart, Berkeley Livingston, with a story under his name and one under his Lester Barclay pseudonym; a couple of writers unknown to me, Phillip Sharp and Leonard Finley Hilts; and house-name Alexander Blade with a story where the actual author hasn't been identified. This issue is available on the Internet Archive if you want to check it out for yourself. I might, one of these days, or I might not.

No comments: