Saturday, June 24, 2023

Saturday Morning Western Pulp: Famous Western, Summer 1944


That's a nice dramatic cover on this issue of FAMOUS WESTERN, although the hand holding the knife looks 'way too large to me. It's almost as big as the other guy's head! There are some good authors inside, including T.W. Ford, Joe Austell Small, Wilbur S. Peacock, and Archie Joscelyn. Also on hand are Lee Floren, Brett Austin (Lee Floren), Lee Thomas (also Lee Floren), Charles S. Richardson, the completely unknown to me James Lebur (he published a dozen stories in various Western pulps, but I don't recall ever coming across his name before), and house-name Cliff Campbell. Hmm, wonder if that could be Lee Floren? I wouldn't rule it out.

2 comments:

Bruce Harris said...

James L. Rubel wrote under several pen names including Mason Macrae, Timothy Hayes, James Lebur, B.B. Scott, William J. Craig, Jale Larr and James Burel and possibly a few others. Here is a helpful website: https://jameslrubel.com/

James Reasoner said...

Bruce, thank you for that link! I had no idea about those Rubel pen-names. I read his Gold Medal novel NO BUSINESS FOR A LADY about 40 years ago and remember liking it a lot. I recognize the name Mason Macrae but none of the others. Some of the Macrae Westerns are available as e-books. I need to give them a try!