Friday, February 04, 2022

Down the Coast of Barbary - H. Bedford-Jones


In 1730, Patrick Spence is an American sea captain whose ship is sunk by pirates off the Barbary Coast. Spence is the only survivor. He’s picked up by a passing British vessel and taken to Algeria, where he finds himself broke and stranded, with no prospects of getting back to America.

He makes a friend, however, a British clergyman who is in Algeria to study ancient ruins. For an elderly preacher, he proves to be surprisingly handy with a sword, too, if that’s not too much of a spoiler, and I don’t think it is since this is an H. Bedford-Jones historical swashbuckler and you know there’s going to be a lot of swordplay.

At any rate, Spence and his friend Dr. Shaw soon find themselves up to their necks in intrigue and danger as they get involved with a Moroccan nobleman who’s trying to seize the throne of that country and a renegade Dutchman who is also after the throne so that he can consolidate all the countries along the Barbary Coast and promote a war with Spain. Everybody’s trying to get their hands on a mysterious box that holds the key to the fate of empires. Oh, and there’s a beautiful young Englishwoman in the mix, too.

DOWN THE COAST OF BARBARY is a short novel by H. Bedford-Jones first published in the October 21, 1922 issue of ARGOSY ALL-STORY WEEKLY, more than 99 years ago, but as always with Bedford-Jones, the prose is only slightly old-fashioned and he keeps the action moving along at a very nice pace. The plotting is a little too muddled here and there, making it difficult to keep up with everybody’s motivations, and a bit too much happens off-screen, but the action scenes (and there are plenty of them) are spectacular and Spence is a very likable protagonist. This novel isn’t in the top rank of Bedford-Jones’ work, but it’s a solid second-tier yarn and is well worth reading. I was entertained from start to finish.

DOWN THE COAST OF BARBARY was reprinted in PULP ADVENTURES #24, published by Bold Venture Press, and, being in the public domain, is also available on-line here and there.

2 comments:

Walker Martin said...

I think I enjoyed this novella even more than you. I got down my issue of Argosy to look at the story and I see my note indicates that I read it back in 1980 and enjoyed it a lot. I'm planning on rereading it soon. I've been reading several novelets by Bedford-Jones in Blue Book and he continues to impress me.

James Reasoner said...

HB-J is one of the most consistently entertaining authors I've ever come across. I've enjoyed everything I've read by him.