Saturday, February 26, 2022

Saturday Morning Western Pulp: Wild West Weekly, September 21, 1940


I haven't posted a WILD WEST WEEKLY cover for a while and figured it was time. This painting by Duncan Coburn features an old codger, one of my favorite types of Western supporting character. Inside are some fine authors, including a Tommy Rockford story by Walker A. Tompkins (a series that really needs to be reprinted) and yarns by Chuck Martin, C. William Harrison, and Hapsburg Liebe writing under the house-name Philip F. Deere. The lead novella is by Shoshone Gwinn, actually William R. Gwinn, an author I'm not familiar with. But a while back I read and reviewed an early Gold Medal novel called DEATH LIES DEEP by William Guinn, evidently the only thing he ever wrote. I wonder if that could be the same guy despite the slight difference in spelling in the last name. We'll probably never know, but such speculation interests me. 

1 comment:

John B said...

That's another great cover.

I went to my local used bookstore yesterday and noticed that I gravitate to westerns published with the Gold Medal imprint. I've not read many clinkers published under their auspices.

I bet the Gwinn's are all one and the same, but I can't imagine how one could verify that!