Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Mage, Maze, Demon - Charles Allen Gramlich


The story “Mage, Maze, Demon” by Charles Allen Gramlich is the latest entry in the Veridical Dreams series, based on the dream journals of Kyle J. Knapp and developed by David Cranmer of Beat to a Pulp. It’s the tale of a barbarian named Bryle, whose help is enlisted by a sinister sorcerer (really, what other kind is there?) to recover a valuable artifact hidden in a maze and guarded by a demon as well as other mystical threats. Don’t think you know everything that’s going to happen once Bryle gets in that maze, though. Gramlich has a few nice plot twists up his sleeve.

As you’d expect from a veteran writer and long-time scholar of Robert E. Howard’s work, Gramlich spins a top-notch sword and sorcery yarn. The action races along and comes to a very satisfying conclusion. Bryle is an appealing protagonist, and I’m particularly fond of one of the non-human characters who becomes, in effect, Bryle’s sidekick, even with no dialogue. “Mage, Maze, Demon” is a very entertaining fantasy tale and gets a high recommendation from me.


4 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Glad you enjoyed!

Rick Robinson said...

Got it, will read this afternoon.

Arion said...

Haven't read it, but that cover sure looks amazing! By the way, I just read your post about Kurt Busiek and it was great, I'm actually I big fan of his work. In fact, I've written about Superman: Secret Identity in my blog (wich I encourage you to visit):

www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

I hope you enjoy my review, and please feel free to leave me a comment over there or add yourself as a follower (or both), and I promise I'll reciprocate.

Cheers,

Arion.

Jack Badelaire said...

Awesome - I picked this up a couple of weeks ago, but never got a chance to read it. Thanks for the review.