Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Frailty

From 2001, this neat little psychological thriller isn’t quite old enough to count as a Movie I’ve Missed, but it’s well worth watching if you haven’t seen it. Matthew McConaughey plays a guy who walks into an FBI office and confesses that his brother is the serial killer known as the God’s Hand Killer. Most of the rest of the movie is a series of flashbacks about the lives of the two brothers that starts out as a bucolic, Mayberry-like coming of age story and then takes a dark turn that keeps getting darker and darker. There’s a little gore, but the violence is actually pretty restrained for the most part. You also get several late twists in the plot, most of which you’ll probably see coming, but I was surprised by the final one. It’s all well-acted but unrelentingly grim (except for one hilarious scene centered around a schoolyard discussion of “The Dukes of Hazzard”). FRAILTY is a good film, and I’m glad we caught up with it.

4 comments:

Randy Johnson said...

I enjoyed this film when I saw it a few years back. I've always liked Bill Paxton's and Powers Boothe's, particularly, work.

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

Amazing - I saw this for the first time about a month ago and thought it was wonderful.

RJR said...

This isone mfmy favoritemovies. All the performances were good and I didn't see the twist coming.

RJR

Paul D Brazill said...

Very stong film, Paxton is the bee.s knees, the cat's whiskers, the dodg'..oh, you know!