Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Course Correction

Early on in the book I'm writing, I began to get the sense that something wasn't right with it. I kept plugging away at it, since a lot of times such misgivings turn out to be false. This time, though, I kept worrying more and more about it, and finally after a bad day today, I had to just stop writing and try to figure out what was wrong. Turns out it wasn't one thing, but two. There's a hole in the plot that has to be fixed. This will require not only some rewriting but also some throwing out of work already done, which I hate. The plot's got to make sense, though, so I don't have much choice. The other problem is in the way I've been writing the protagonist. He's just fundamentally wrong for this book, at least the way he's acting now. I need to go back and revise his scenes, which I hope won't be too much of a problem. I don't normally stray this far from what I need to be doing. None of it should be too hard to fix, though, and once that's done maybe the book's pace will pick up.

No comments: