Saturday, September 20, 2014

Saturday Morning Western Pulp: Lariat Story, January 1945


The Fiction House Western pulps nearly always had good covers and good authors inside, and this issue is no exception. The lead story by Frank Bonham, "The Canyon of Maverick Brands", is one that was reprinted in a Leisure paperback collection of his work. Other authors include top-notch pulpsters Barry Cord (Peter Germano) and Chuck Martin. There's also a novelette by Wayne C. Lee, almost forgotten now but once a prolific author of paperback original Westerns. And also a very nice guy, as I know since I spent a couple of hours sitting next to him at a book signing during one of the Western Writers of America conventions. I was next to him because I was signing as "Justin Ladd", the author of the Abilene series from Pocket Books. Seated on my other side was Elmer Kelton, who had a line out the door. Wayne and I didn't have much to do, so we were able to have a long, pleasant conversation. It's a nice memory from that convention.

1 comment:

Jim Griffin said...

she's gonna land right on that hot branding iron. ouch.