Sunday, June 10, 2012

Sunday Morning Bonus Pulp: Argosy, Sept. 4, 1937

It occurred to me that there are a lot of pulp covers I like that weren't on Western pulps, so I decided to start posting them here on Sunday mornings. Maybe not every Sunday. We'll see. Any genre is fair game, there just has to be something about the cover that appeals to me and I hope to you as well. What better way to start than with a monkey with a rifle? I've never read this issue (although it may be in a box somewhere around here), but it looks like a good one. Theodore Roscoe was a great pulp writer, authoring a wide variety of stories, all of them good that I've read so far. Plus there's a novelette by Donald Barr Chidsey, one of my favorites, short stories by Luke Short and Richard Sale, and serial installments by Arthur Leo Zagat, Bennett Foster, and Martin McCall (possibly E. Hoffmann Price). ARGOSY can be a problem because of all the serials it ran, but there were nearly always some good novelettes and short stories in each issue, too. And excellent covers for the most part. I would have grabbed this one right up if I'd seen it on the newsstand in 1937.

3 comments:

Walker Martin said...

This cover reminds me of the series of covers on ADVENTURE MAGAZINE in the 1930's showing a monkey and a sailor. Painted by Walter Baumhofer they illustrated humorous scenes.

This Theodore Roscoe story is probably one from his series starring the Legionaire, Thibault Corday. I believe Altus Press may soon be publishing a collection of these bizarre and unusual stories.

Evan Lewis said...

Nice. Haven't seen this one.

Wish I had ALL the Roscoe issues. Most of mine are just pieces of serials.

Todd Mason said...

Of course, chimps ain't monkeys. Like Mongo, you'd have to mistake a steer for a horse to be similarly wrong...

--the all-purpose wet blanket.