Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Bonus Overlooked TV and Music: Quiet Village - Martin Denny

Walker Martin mentioned the music of Martin Denny in a comment on the previous post, so I thought why not post something from the long-ago TV show HAWAII CALLS?  My parents both liked Hawaiian music and had several record albums of it that they played on the hi-fi, which was a substantial piece of furniture. Some of you probably don't know what I'm talking about, but I know some of you do. And if you're of a certain age, this should mellow out your evening. Anyway, take it away, Martin Denny.

5 comments:

Todd Mason said...

HAWAII CALLS as a syndicated tv show ran a lot longer than I was thinking (for nearly a decade), even if it didn't quite touch the longevity of the radio version on Mutual (some forty years)...Martin Denny certainly saw a renaissance of interest for just this sort of recording with the resurgence of Cocktail Exotica around the turn of the '90s..."Quiet Village" is probably the Denny piece I've heard the most since learning music had titles in the latter '60s...

Walker Martin said...

This clip really brings back alot of memories! As a teenager I bought a Stromberg Carlson stereo system and as James mentions, it was quite a substantial piece of furniture. Back in the 1950's and 1960's these systems for playing LP's were the height of sophistication. I guess Martin Denny is pretty dated by today's standards but at least back then we knew how to play a music record.

Nowadays you stick a wire in your ear and download music which simply does not sound like a quality LP, or CD for that matter.

Cap'n Bob said...

I'm of the age for this but never heard of him or the show. Guess I was too busy watching Westerns. I reckon our hi-fi stood 30 inches tall and was painted a blond color. You could stack about 10 records on the spindle. I think it was a Magnovox.

Ron Scheer said...

Loved stuff with ambient sound. I had this 45 and, if I thought for a while, could probably tell you what was on the B-side.

Chad Thorson said...

I love Martin Denny! It's great music to read Tarzan novels to.