Saturday, December 25, 2004

Christmas Loot

We had a low-key but very nice Christmas at home. Spent most of the morning leisurely unwrapping presents. Since the kids are older we don't have to do that at the crack of dawn anymore. An excellent turkey dinner later, and I even went out to my studio and wrote a little. I got some much appreciated functional gifts, like a new heavy coat to replace the one that's just about worn out, but I know what you want to hear about. You want to know about the fun stuff I got.

1. A boxed set of serials on DVD, twelve in all, including THE NEW ADVENTURES OF TARZAN, ZORRO'S FIGHTING LEGION, DICK TRACY, ACE DRUMMOND, UNDERSEA KINGDOM, THE LOST CITY, THE PHANTOM CREEPS, SOS COAST GUARD, THE CLUTCHING HAND, THE THREE MUSKETEERS, SHADOW OF THE EAGLE, and THE HURRICANE EXPRESS. I'm really looking forward to these.

2. UTOPIA PARKWAY, a CD by Fountains of Wayne

3. The Far Side Wall Calender

4. Get Fuzzy Day by Day Calender

Those last two are actually vital writing accessories for me. I've had a Get Fuzzy Day by Day calender right beside my computer this year, and there were a lot of days when I had to drag myself out to the studio, only to read that day's strip and break up laughing over it. I found writing easier after that. And I always need a good wall calender with plenty of room to write on it because that's where I keep track of my pages and figure out whether I need to pick up the pace. It can also come in handy for tax purposes because I can always tell what I was working on at a particular time.

I never really get into the Christmas spirit like I did when I was a kid, but this was a pretty darned good one. Not to be corny about it, but having the four of us together, all relatively happy and healthy, is always the best present of all.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I got a "Get Fuzzy" day calendar, too. I started getting those when there were no more "Far Side" day calendars. As for those serials, I've seen several of them. UNDERSEA KINGDOM is my favorite of the batch (except for the creepy scenes with Simley Burnette), followed closely by ZORRO'S FIGHTING LEGION, which has the best theme song ever for a serial.