Saturday, September 12, 2026

Saturday Morning Western Pulp: Top-Notch Western, August 1938


This issue of TOP-NOTCH WESTERN has a decent cover by H.W. Scott. The lead novella is by Norton L. James. I've read speculation that that's a pseudonym for Ray Nafziger, but it's never been confirmed and probably never will be. We do know for sure that Brad Buckner, who also has a story in this issue, was actually Ed Earl Repp. Repp doesn't have a story under his real name in this one, so I'm not sure why he used the Buckner pen-name. Also on hand are Rolland Lynch, a prolific Western pulpster who's forgotten these days, the even more obscure James W. Egan and Frank H. Richey, and house-name John Cannon. Not a top of the line Western pulp despite its name, but probably worth reading. I don't believe I've ever seen an actual issue of TOP-NOTCH WESTERN.

No comments: