I don't know who painted the cover on this issue of CLUES. It's okay, but I'm not overly impressed with it. However, I am impressed with the contents. There's a Race Williams novella by Carroll John Daly, a novelette by Norvell Page, and short stories by Lawrence Treat and Edward S. Aarons writing as Edward Ronns. That's a pretty good lineup!
Carpenter Gold
35 minutes ago


4 comments:
Indeed a good lineup. I did not know Race Williams appeared anywhere other than Black Mask and Dime Detective. Daly was a very under appreciated hard boiled author. Very few defenders in his lifetime, though Earl Stanley Gardner was a big supporter.
Later in the series, Race also showed up in STREET & SMITH'S DETECTIVE STORY MAGAZINE, POPULAR DETECTIVE, THRILLING DETECTIVE, and at the very end, the last four stories in the series wound up in Columbia's SMASHING DETECTIVE STORIES.
This type of cover was standard fare for the genre back in the day.
The cover is by KIRCHNER, I believe. He did many covers for Clues as well as interior art. James, check out Galactric Central's website and look at CLUES from 5/37 for a much more detailed image. They reused some covers for later issues, and this was one they cropped a little too much. I think it looks pretty good! Also, CLUES had some really good stories and series characters as well. I'd be talking about the S&S issues after they bought the title from Clayton.
Post a Comment