Sunday, April 14, 2024

Sunday Morning Bonus Pulp: Pirate Stories, March 1935


I don't believe I've ever run across a mention of PIRATE STORIES before. It was a short-lived adventure pulp edited and published by Hugo Gernsback of AMAZING STORIES fame. This is the third of six issues. I like the cover by Joseph Sokoli. The idea of airborne pirates preying on ships at sea is an interesting one. The feature story in this issue is by Captain Dingle, an author I've been meaning to read for a long time now but still haven't. Backing it up are yarns by the always dependable J. Allan Dunn, George Allan Moffatt, and an author I'm unfamiliar with, J. Winchcombe-Taylor, who certainly has a distinguished-sounding name. I may have to steal that for a character one of these days.

2 comments:

Bruce Harris said...

Interesting information about John Winchcombe-Taylor and his wife:

https://lib.arizona.edu/special-collections/collections/drachman-taylor-family-papers


James Reasoner said...

Thanks, Bruce. That is interesting. I remember CHICKEN EVERY SUNDAY but had no idea it was Winchcombe-Taylor's wife who wrote the novel.