Sunday, February 11, 2024

Sunday Morning Bonus Pulp: Street & Smith's Complete Stories, March 15, 1933


Okay, correct me if I'm wrong, but this H.W. Scott cover features a Mexican vaquero shaking hands with a chimpanzee, right? And what's that in his other hand, a candlestick or some sort of little idol? I don't know what story this illustrates, but I want to read it! Unfortunately, I don't own a copy, but this issue of STREET & SMITH'S COMPLETE STORIES looks like a good one. Authors inside include the great Frederick Nebel, the also great Frederick C. Davis (ghosting a White Wolf story under the name of the series' creator Hal Dunning), Forbes Parkhill, Harry Harrison Kroll, and forgotten pulpsters James Clarke, William Bruner, and Jack Hulick. I'm going to have to see if I can come up with a way to work a vaquero and a chimpanzee into one of my books . . .

7 comments:

Dick McGee said...

Well, it's definitely a candlestick - you can just see the flame impinging on the "M" of the Complete Stories logo. Beyond that I'm lost.

James Reasoner said...

I missed that little flame. Thanks for pointing it out, Dick. Yeah, I'm baffled by this cover--but intrigued!

Paul S Herman said...

I do own a copy of this pulp, mainly for the Nebel story (which I have yet to read!).

The blurb on the contents page for this cover story reads: "Grim warnings meant nothing to these pals, one of whom was called to patriotism, the other by loyalty, to a strange island where a giant ape controlled a people's destiny." Reading from the first paragraph, looks like
the island is the republic of Las Cuevas in Latin America and the story revolves around a pilot and his main mechanic, who is his best friend. Looks like it could be a fun story.

James Reasoner said...

That sounds great!

Paul S Herman said...

James,

Just thinking out loud, but why don't you attend either the Windy City Pulp & Paper Show this April or PULPFEST in Aug.? You won't meet nicer people ANYWHERE in the collectible/reader field. It's like being a kid in a candy store (as long as you have enough money to sate your appetite)!! And if you like to see original art from these great pulp and paperback books we all read
then go to Chicago in April. Regardless, both shows are a lot of fun.

James Reasoner said...

I'd love to attend either or both of those, Paul, but I'm afraid my days of traveling that far have been over for a while. Pulp fans are great. I've met a few in person over the years (Jack Cullers a few years ago in Austin) and some who are also Robert E. Howard fans at REH Days in Cross Plains. I might make it back down there again one of these years, since it's not that far from where I live, but no plans to right now.

Dick McGee said...

They say the most effective covers are the ones that make you have to buy just to find out what they're all about, right? This one is a doozy for sure.