Sunday, March 20, 2022

Sunday Morning Bonus Pulp: Thrilling Wonder Stories, June 1951


Okay, is that a space helmet or a bowling ball this space babe is holding? If it's a bowling ball, I want to read the story this Earle Bergey cover is illustrating. Of course, it's probably just a space helmet. Either way, there are some fine writers in the pages behind this cover: Jack Vance, James Blish, Charles L. Harness, Carter Sprague (actually my old mentor, Sam Merwin Jr.), Roger Dee, H.B. Fyfe, and somebody I don't normally associate with science fiction, even though he wrote a respectable amount of it, William Campbell Gault. If you want to read this issue, you can find a PDF of it on this page.

UPDATE: As Rick Robinson points out in the comments, it's actually Earth the lady is holding. I should have noticed that. I just got distracted by the bowling ball idea. (I know there have been science fiction stories about other sports, such as baseball, but I wonder if there's ever been one about bowling . . .)

2 comments:

Rick Robinson said...

Neither, it’s Earth.

James Reasoner said...

Son of a gun! It is! Thanks, Rick. I don't know how I missed that.