Monday, June 07, 2010

The Covenant

It would be easy to make fun of THE COVENANT. The plot, about four young men at an exclusive New England prep school who are really warlocks (descended from the Salem witches, to boot!) is pretty hokey, and the acting isn’t particularly good. At times the cast (nobody you’ve ever heard of, with the possible exceptions of Taylor Kitsch from FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS and Chace Crawford from GOSSIP GIRL) looks like they’re having trouble not breaking up at the lines they’re saying with such solemnity. The movie also has a relatively high sleaze factor, with lots of excuses to have teenage girls in bathing suits, teenage girls in their underwear, teenage girls showering . . . you get the idea. (To be fair, most of these actresses are probably in their twenties, they’re just playing teenagers.)


But despite all that, THE COVENANT does manage to be fairly entertaining. The special effects are okay and there’s plenty of mystical action. It reminded me a lot of The CW’s THE VAMPIRE DIARIES, so take that into account if you’re trying to decide whether to watch it. It definitely falls into the “amiable time-waster” category.

4 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I kind of liked it. SOrt of liked the mystical magic balls they shot at each other. I thought the lead guy actor did an ok job.

David Cranmer said...

I'd like to become a warlock.

Richard R. said...

James, I'm just curious - why are you - and I see this more and more on other blogs too - using the Amazon icons for the books instead of a cover scan?

As for the book, probably not one for me...

James Reasoner said...

Richard,
If you click on the link in the blog post to get to Amazon, then I get a small cut of whatever you spend there, whether it's on that particular book or not. I think. I have it set up so that whatever I earn goes onto a gift certificate, so Amazon will eventually get it all back, but even a little bit will make it easier for me to buy all those pulp reprints I want.