Saturday, January 16, 2010

A Man Apart

Let’s see, you’ve got a movie starring Vin Diesel as a tough DEA agent who’s trying to take down a mysterious drug smuggler called Diablo. You think this one might have a lot of shootin’, fightin’, and Stuff Blowin’ Up Real Good? Well, you’d be right, because A MAN APART is one of the most predictable movies I’ve seen in a while. There are no real surprises to be found in the script except for a nice bit involving a drug-sniffing dog. That’s a shame, because this is a well-made, well-acted film. I think Diesel (who’s in Slightly Hairy Vin mode here) is especially good. The plot is so by-the-numbers, though, that unless you’re a fan of this sort of movie, you may find it a little boring. I thought it was an okay way to kill a couple of hours, but not much more than that.

1 comment:

beb said...

I first saw Vin Diesel in a kid flick, The Pacifier, which I thought was pretty good for its kind. The current Jackie Chan movie seems like a thin re-make of Diesel's movie. I've also seem him in The Legend of Riddick which was actually a decent SF flick. His performance impressed me a lot. Struck me that if they ever make another Conan movie Diesel ought to play the character. He has the right attitude for it.