Monday, August 24, 2009

Hannah Montana: The Movie


Those of you who have read my HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL posts probably won’t be too surprised to hear that we watched HANNAH MONTANA: THE MOVIE. I thought it was pretty good, too, very much a descendant of those Judy Garland/Mickey Rooney “Let’s put on a show!” movies, as well as the Beach Party movies from my generation. You get a little comedy, a little drama, a little romance, and lots of singin’ and dancin’. I don’t think I’d ever heard a Miley Cyrus song before, and while I’m far from an expert about such things, I thought she has a pretty good voice and is a decent actress. HANNAH MONTANA is all very lightweight and innocuous, but sometimes that’s just what you need.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, but did it have Eric Von Zipper?

Chris said...

I've never seen this and probably never will, but I like that you made a connection to possible predecessors (Garland/Rooney, Beach Party). As much as they try and dress this stuff up, it's just a variation on something that's already been done. Nice review!

pattinase (abbott) said...

Truly, you are the most generous and open-minded critic. You make me want to see even more movies than I already do.

Anonymous said...

My ten-year old daughters would be pleased at your review, James. I just sat through it with them this last weekend (their second time seeing it, my first), and while my feelings on it aren't as generous (then again, my objectivity may be clouded by years of Hannah saturation), it's not a bad film for girls that age.

BTW, on a completely unrelated matter, I just finished OLD TIMES' SAKE, and loved the collection.

~ Ron Clinton

James Reasoner said...

Bill -- Nope, no Eric Von Zipper. Would've been interesting, though.

Chris -- Thanks. You know the old saying about nothing new under the sun.

Patti -- I appreciate it. I've always had the ability to watch lots of different kinds of movies and find something to like in them. Same with books.

Ron -- You're on to something there. I've never seen an entire episode of the Hannah Montana TV show, probably nothing more than an isolated minute or two here and there as I was passing through the living room, so the movie was pretty much new to me. Thanks for the kind words regarding OLD TIME'S SAKE, as well. I was very glad to get all those old stories back out there.

jeane said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.