Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Review: American Treasure Hunters: The Pirate and Alamo - Andrew M. Dare


I really enjoyed the first two books in the American Treasure Hunters series, THE HUNT FOR CONFEDERATE GOLD and THE BOSTON TEA PARTY CONSPIRACY, but I’ve been especially looking forward to the third book, THE PIRATE AND THE ALAMO, since, as you can tell from the title, it takes place in Texas.

It’s safe to say I was not disappointed. At all.

This one finds our teenage protagonists, Ben Prescott, Porter Rockwell, and Latch McCrae, in San Antonio with Ben’s wealthy uncle, who plans to bid at an auction for a Corvette Stingray that once belonged to an astronaut. But of course things become more complicated than that when they come into possession of an antique powder horn that might have belonged to Jim Bowie. And, also of course, that powder horn has some sort of cipher etched into it and another secret lurking inside, as well. Before you know it, the guys are untangling a mystery that involves not only the battle of the Alamo but also the notorious pirate Jean Lafitte, and once again they find themselves in danger from forces that want to uncover the truth first, for their own nefarious ends.

I raced through this novel and had an absolutely great time reading it. The fast-paced prose and intricate plot from author Andrew M. Dare would have been very entertaining regardless of where the book was set, but having it take place in areas I know fairly well made it even more enjoyable. For example, when there’s a great chase scene along the River Walk, I couldn’t help but think of the time I had supper with Bill and Judy Crider at one of the restaurants right there by the river. I’ve been to the Alamo and inside the Menger Hotel many times. When the trail leads to the Lost Pines area in central Texas, I know what it looks like because I’ve driven through there many, many times (in a different location than the scenes in the book, but in the same stretch of pines that runs through that part of Texas). I always get a kick out of fiction set in places I know, and this book is a prime example of that. Andrew M. Dare, mentioned above, is actually a house-name, and the author of this one is David Afsharirad, a Texan his own self, so he knows what he's talking about.

Throw in the fact that the three protagonists are just so dang likable, and I can’t help but feel like THE PIRATE AND THE ALAMO is one of the best books I’ve read so far this year. It’s available on Amazon in e-book, hardcover, and audio editions, and I give it a very high recommendation.

No comments: