Sunday, October 22, 2023

Sunday Morning Bonus Pulp: Dime Detective Magazine, August 1936


Yikes! What a disturbing cover by Walter Baumhofer for this issue of DIME DETECTIVE. I'm sure there are quite a few jolts in the stories, too. Authors in this issue include Fred MacIsaac (with a Rambler story), William E. Barrett (with a Needle Mike story), John K. Butler (with a "Tricky" Enright story--I'm not familiar with that character at all), Leslie T. White (with a Duke and Phyllis Martendel story--nope, don't know them, either), and forgotten pulpster Denslow M. Dade.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm. Butler's Steve Midnight stories didn't begin in Dime Detective until 1940, but I enjoyed those. I never heard of 'Tricky' Enright either, but now I'm curious.

Kind of surprised there wasn't a Fredrick Nebel story in the issue, but I guess even a guy as prolific as he was had to take a break now and then.

John Hocking

Todd Mason said...

Wonder if the Butler cover story is in any way an ancestor of "The Second Coming", one of the several Joe Gores stories that Got To Me in a big way upon first reading them as a kid, and that one key to nudging me along to being an anti-death penalty person...Baumhofer might not've held sentiments similar to those of Gores, at very least...

Todd Mason said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Todd Mason said...

Or might've, as I think I was trying to write (probably with distraction).