Sunday, April 16, 2023

Sunday Morning Bonus Pulp: Ten Detective Aces, November 1942


For some reason, I've always liked those TEN DETECTIVE ACES covers with the red borders around them. It's a nice distinctive look. And I always love Norman Saunders covers. This one is no exception. Great action and details and that's a really good-looking woman. The stories inside are by some authors who ain't half-bad, either: Frederick C. Davis, Walker A. Tompkins, Norman A. Daniels, Harold Q. Masur, Joe Archibald, Lee E. Well, Stuart Friedman, plus a couple I hadn't heard of, Ken Kessler and Jimmy O'Brien, plus house name Guy Fleming. A couple of those authors, Tompkins and Wells, are best known as Western writers, but Davis and Archibald wrote quite a few Westerns, too, and Daniels did a few.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Ten Detective Aces! I've been fascinated by this pulp since I read Garyn Roberts collection 'A Cent a Story' back in 1986. That book introduced me to Frederic C. Davis's wonderful hero, the Moon Man.

I have only one issue of the pulp- which I told you about back when I bought it...

https://jamesreasoner.blogspot.com/2006/12/weird-detective-adventures-of-wade.html

Ten Detective Aces, and the Moon Man himself, came up again here. And I championed the Silver-Sphere-Headed Hero in the comments...

https://jamesreasoner.blogspot.com/2013/03/sunday-morning-bonus-pulp-ten-detective.html

Geez, James, that was 17 years and 10 years ago respectively. I know I don't comment as often as I used to, but I still visit your blog every day to see if you've posted anything. Thanks for all the fine posts about the stuff we love.

Hey, ever get around to reading some Moon Man?

John Hocking

James Reasoner said...

I'm embarrassed to say that I've still never read any Moon Man stories, despite owning the entire series in both print and e-book formats. I really like Davis's work, so I have no excuse.

Anonymous said...

Aw hell, James. The intent was much less chiding you about reading a story than it was to indicate my appreciation (and astonishment) that this blog had been running so long and has provided me with so much enjoyment.

Keep blogging, James. And read whatever the heck you want.

John