Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Bruce Grossman on MSMM

Over at Bookgasm, Bruce Grossman's always entertaining column "Bullets, Broads, Blackmail & Bombs" takes a look at three issues of MIKE SHAYNE MYSTERY MAGAZINE this week. I remember quite clearly buying two of those issues (the ones from 1978) brand-new off the shelves at Readers World in River Oaks, Texas. Readers World was a nice little store where I bought a lot of paperbacks, comics, and mystery and SF digests during the Seventies. Livia and I used to go there at least once a week. It was owned by Gene and Linda Sanders (I hope I'm remembering the names right), who later moved the store and expanded it, renaming it G. Sanders Books. The new store was in a different part of town and I didn't make it over there very often, but I'll always have very fond memories of the original Readers World. (I sort of wandered off from the original topic of this post, didn't I? Go on over to Bookgasm and read what Bruce has to say, if you haven't already.)

1 comment:

Randy Johnson said...

I have the 1971 issue. Unfortunately, the stores in my town had quit carrying the magazine by the late seventies when you started selling stories to them and your run on the Shayne stories.