Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanksgiving

I hope all of you who celebrate Thanksgiving had a fine day today. And for those of you who don’t celebrate Thanksgiving . . . well, I hope you had a fine day, too.

My schedule called for me to put in a full day at the computer today, so in between eating too much good food and napping a little, I did exactly that. I need to wrap up the current book by the end of the month. Working on a holiday isn’t that unusual for me, and it’s particularly appropriate on Thanksgiving, because I’m really thankful for the work I have. Not a day goes by that I don’t thank God for the opportunities I’ve been given. My work isn’t particularly profound (although if you look, every now and then I try to slip in something worth thinking about for a minute or two) and I’m not out to change the world. Instead I get the chance to entertain people, to make them laugh or occasionally get a little misty-eyed, to give them something to read when they’re happy or something to read when they’re sad and need to get away from the world for a little while. It’s one of the greatest blessings in the world, and the reason I’m still pounding away at it after all these years.

And, of course, so I won’t have to get a real job.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

No truer words. I just wish I knew half of the books you actually write. That being said I do truly enjoy the ones I know you do. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, a day late. A question, is it considered work if you truly love what you do?

Anonymous said...

bt,jcAmen!

Vince said...

Well said, sir.

Carl V. Anderson said...

A belated Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours as well.