Sunday, December 04, 2005

When Rocketships Had Fins


I've now watched both episodes of ROCKY JONES, SPACE RANGER that are on that DVD I bought the other day. They don't hold up extremely well, but they're fairly entertaining. The special effects are very crude, but that's to be expected. I've always felt that Richard Crane, who plays Rocky, looks more like a villain than a hero, but he works all right here. One bit of sort of interesting trivia is that the Space Patrol, for which Rocky works, has no jurisdiction on Earth. Rocky and his sidekick have to wait until criminals leave Earth's atmosphere before they can arrest them. That makes perfect sense, but for some reason I never even considered it before. I would think that jurisdictional disputes might make for some interesting episodes.

I did a little research and found out that this series was produced for only one year. 39 episodes are all that exist. I would have thought it ran longer than that, because I watched it in syndicated reruns on Saturday mornings for a long time when I was a kid.

1 comment:

kelsci said...

I liked some of the Rocky Jones shows. I remember watching it as a kid in the 1950s. I liked the eerie music and the sound effects. I think the special effects for an early science fiction tv show were above average. I do not think Richard Crane looked like a "villain". To me he is a sort of a earlier Willam Shatner and therefore a sort of a James T. Kirk.