Sunday, August 20, 2017

Sunday Morning Bonus Pulp: Top-Notch Magazine, October 1, 1925


I don't know about you, but I don't remember the last time I read a gripping polo story. Or any kind of polo story, for that matter. But C.S. Montanye provides one in this issue of the long-running pulp TOP-NOTCH. Montanye is best remembered, if at all, as one of the authors of the Phantom Detective novels under the house-name Robert Wallace. In fact, I think I recall reading that Montanye died in the middle of writing a Phantom novel and someone else had to finish it. He had a long, prolific career in a variety of pulps, though. Other authors of note in this issue are Burt L. Standish, S. Omar Barker, Hapsburg Liebe, Nels Leroy Jorgensen, and William Merriam Rouse. Actually, I kind of like that cover and the title "When the Mallet Flashed". If I was going to read a polo story, it might be that one.

6 comments:

Jerry House said...

Perhaps the "gripping polo story" focused on a new way to hold the mallet...or perhaps not.

Jerry House said...

BTW, I remember one vivid pulp cover about automotive polo, which I gather was once a thing.

Unknown said...

I'd love to read this, or other polo stories.

Shay said...

Kipling wrote a short story from the viewpoint of the ponies.

https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/k/kipling/rudyard/days/chapter9.html

Cap'n Bob said...

Did you know that polo is the only sport that must be played right-handed?

James Reasoner said...

I had no idea, Cap'n.