Sunday, July 09, 2017

Sunday Morning Bonus Pulp: All Detective Magazine, September 1933


Okay, now that's a creepy cover! It's by an artist I hadn't heard of named Victor Julius. I don't know if I would have bought that issue if I'd seen it staring out at me from the newsstand in 1933, but I would have noticed it, that's for sure. On the other hand, I might have bought it if I'd had an extra dime in my pocket, because inside are stories by Erle Stanley Gardner, E. Hoffmann Price, Arthur J. Burks, and Frederick C. Painton, all excellent writers. Don't know how well I would have slept that night, though, with that thing in the room with me.

4 comments:

Barry Traylor said...

Apparently he only did two covers for All Detective, the second was December 1933

Stephen Mertz said...

Which suggests that James' reaction was shared by newsstand browsers of the day, resulting in poor sales and, after a second try,the end of this gig for this cover artist.

Cap'n Bob said...

I feel the same way about cigarette smokers.

Joel Lyczak said...

I really like ALL DETECTIVE. There are some series characters that are not your traditional private eye. Perhaps that's why the magazine failed. Then there are the covers, two or three issues are collectible just for the covers, by Saunders if memory isn't failing me.