Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Just Your Basic Giant Worm Movies


We watched a mini-marathon of TREMORS 4: THE LEGEND BEGINS (chronologically the first in the series, as the title makes clear), which I hadn’t seen, and the original TREMORS with Fred Ward and Kevin Bacon, which I saw when it first came out but not since then. TREMORS is one of the great popcorn movies of all time as far as I’m concerned. Sure it’s silly. And there’s no explanation for where the giant worms come from. But I don’t care, it’s still a lot of fun. TREMORS 4 is actually a Western, telling the story of how the worms first showed up in the 1880s. There are a lot of connections to the original, including actor Michael Gross, who’s in all four films, I think. (I haven’t seen #2 and #3, and I’m too lazy to look them up.) Gross is the only recognizable name in TREMORS 4, which clearly has a lower budget. It’s entertaining, too, but not on the same level as the original. And the plots really are almost exactly the same. So I don’t know if I’d recommend TREMORS 4 if you’ve seen the original. But there are worse ways to waste time.

2 comments:

Vince said...

I haven't seen TREMORS 4 but I've seen all the others, so I'd better get cracking. You're absolutely right about the original being one of the great popcorn movies. Michael Gross did appear in all four films, as well as the short-lived TREMORS TV series.

James Reasoner said...

I don't even remember the TV series.