Saturday, April 30, 2011

Saturday Morning Western Pulp: Mammoth Western, January 1951

Unlike all the other pulps I've featured in this series, I actually own a copy of this one, although I haven't gotten around to reading it yet.  It includes an early story by one of my favorite authors, Harry Whittington, but I'm not really familiar with any of the other authors in it with the exception of Paul W. Fairman, who wrote a little bit of everything in his long and prolific career, and W. Edmunds Claussen, whose by-line I've seen in other Western pulps, even though I've never read anything by him.  I need to get to this one soon and read the Whittington and Fairman stories, anyway.

4 comments:

Ron Scheer said...

This is a devilish cover, in the spirit of the closing shot from THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY, the desperado firing a pistol straight at the viewer.

Walker Martin said...

Mammoth Western also had some companion titles such as Mammoth Adventure, Mammoth Detective, and Mammoth Mystery. Some of the issues were the size of a telephone book, with many pages made up of low grade pulp paper.

The publisher was Ziff-Davis who also published Amazing and Fantastic. For the most part, the Mammoth line did not publish quality fiction due to the low word rates, though occasionally some good stories crept in like the novels by Howard Browne and Roy Huggins.

Cap'n Bob said...

That's one ugly dude.

Gonzalo B said...

What a great find. Does anyone know if there's a good Whittington bibliography available anywhere? I'm trying to track down his Western short stories but haven't had much luck.